Sunday, October 21, 2012

joe froggers

This morning's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is Joe Froggers, or Ginger Rum Molasses Cookies, except without the rum because I didn't have any, plus vanilla, because... just because.

These cookies were supposed to be sprinkled with coarse sugar and baked, then eaten as is. But I couldn't resist prettying them up with some royal icing.


But truth be told, they were much better plain. I baked them for around 9 minutes and they baked perfectly soft, although I wish I had made them a bit thicker. They reminded me of soft gingerbread cookies, or a bear claw cookie.

The dough was quite soft, although probably not as soft as it would have been if I had added the rum the recipe called for. I still rolled the dough between two sheets of parchment, and placed the rolled out dough back in the fridge before cutting it out with cookie cutters. I was lazy and only baked two trays of cookies, stored the rest of the dough in the freezer until the next time I get the urge to bake cookies.

These are perfect for fall and winter. If I had added a thin layer of icing as opposed to three, they would make a great base for a cut out cookie, although they do spread some.


For the recipe and to see how the rest of the Baked Sunday Mornings bloggers liked these, click on through to the Baked Sunday Mornings site.

12 comments:

  1. You weren't kidding about prettying them up! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT photos! They look wonderful with the royal icing petals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous cookie! Your petals are perfect! And yes, I agree they were good plain. Very good flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the royal icing petals! I left out the rum in mine too, not sure what I was missing and I thought they were just ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful! I'm interested to hear however that your cookies came out soft - mine definitely had the crunch and texture of a ginger snap. Maybe it was the rum that did it (yep, I used the rum). Not sure... excellent job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? no, mine were definitely soft. my cutter was 2 5/8 inches and i baked them for 9 minutes. it can't be the rum, can it?

      Delete
  6. That piping is pretty, great idea! My cookies were chewy because I only baked for 8-9 minutes. I'm a sucker for a soft cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a work of art! Too pretty to eat! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine came out soft too, love your beautiful icing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(